Contemporary furniture styles are often sleek and angular, with simple corners instead of ornate carvings or curves. The following article will highlight furniture design ideas that include furniture layouts for your home. Use this knowledge as a jumping-off point to find furniture that works for you.
Contemporary Bedroom Design ideas
- The furniture layout in a contemporary bedroom is usually clean and simple, consisting of furniture that’s either a neutral color or has lightly colored furniture with dark walls, headboards, and bedding.
- The bed is the main focus of the bedroom, so it’s usually placed in a spot that allows plenty of space to walk around and enjoy the bed’s features.
- Beds come with or without nightstands, and they can be high off the ground or low to the ground.
- A good way to arrange your bedroom’s furniture is to have a dresser to the side of your bed, with nightstands on each side. If you only have one night stand, it’s best to place it next to the side of your bed that you sleep on, as this is where you’ll need to reach for the clock in the morning.
- Contemporary decor is all about simplicity, so choose one or two colors to paint the walls and make sure any upholstery matches or contrasts the colors you chose.
- The monochromatic color scheme works well for a contemporary bedroom, as do simple patterns and designs.
- Keep your bedroom uncluttered. Combine small pieces of furniture, such as a dresser and nightstand, into one piece to create a contemporary bedroom layout that works for you.
Contemporary Living Room Design Ideas
- The contemporary living room is often called a “great room” because this type of layout includes the kitchen, dining area. Contemporary Living Room and living area in one open space.
- It includes a sofa or couch with at least two comfortable chairs placed around a coffee table, with additional seating if you have a large family or often have guests.
- Light-colored fabrics are easier to clean, so it’s smart to invest in a beige or off-white sofa and chairs that complement your decor.
- The modern living room is all about keeping it clean and simple, so the fewer colors you use in your decor, the easier it will be to keep clean.
- Remove any clutter and dust while your living room is empty, then add your favorite add-ons to complete the look of your living room.
- A contemporary living room typically contains neutral-colored furniture that is sleek and streamlined or has clean lines.
- Contemporary living room furniture layout ideas include sectional couches, which are great for open floor plans, or a simple sofa and chairs grouped around a coffee table.
- Add an area rug to the floor to create warmth and make the room cozier.
Contemporary Kitchen Design Ideas
- The contemporary kitchen has modern appliances, like an under-the-counter refrigerator and a stove with a glass-top surface, and it has countertops made from lighter-colored materials.
- The color scheme is usually black, white, or stainless steel with dark-colored cabinets to create a clean look.
- The kitchen island, when included in the design, often has barstools placed near it.
- Keep the cabinets uncluttered by storing rarely-used pots and pans in an out-of-the-way cabinet or closet, and keep frequently-used items close to the stove for easy access.
- As always, clean up any clutter immediately to help maintain the clean, contemporary look of your kitchen.
- Contemporary additions for the modern home do not have to be expensive or difficult to install, but they can greatly improve the look and function of your space.
- The contemporary home includes lighting that illuminates the entire room, aimed at the ceiling.
- When choosing contemporary lighting for your home, look for fixtures that throw light upward toward the ceiling.
- Adding recessed lights to the ceiling will give your room more light.
- You can even install halogen lights, which are brighter than normal bulbs, in your fixtures to really illuminate the whole room.
- Table and floor lamps are fine, but track lighting is often used in contemporary homes because it provides direct lighting.
- The ceiling is the focal point of the room, so adding uplighting near it will create a dramatic effect.
Bathroom design ideas
- Contemporary bathrooms are sleek, simple, and streamlined.
- There’s no need for extra storage space in a contemporary bathroom because it should be small.
- When planning your bathroom layout, consider the function of each space you’re designing.
- Select materials that are durable and easy to clean, such as marble or tile for the floor and countertops.
- Choose wall-mounted vanities if you have limited space in your bathroom, and add a contemporary vanity mirror.
- The monochromatic color scheme is perfect for the contemporary bathroom, so choose one color for the walls and floor.
Contemporary flooring ideas
- Contemporary homes often have hardwood or tile floors, but carpets are also common in the contemporary style.
- Flooring ideas in a contemporary home include hardwood, tile, or area rugs.
- The larger the rug, the cozier the room will feel.
- You can also use materials like cork or sisal to create a natural look and feel underfoot.
- Choose neutral-colored tiles or carpeting to complement the other colors used in your home.
- Add area rugs to tie the room together and to provide extra warmth underfoot.
Contemporary finishes for walls and ceilings
- Walls and ceilings in a contemporary home often have a white or beige finish.
- Painting the walls and ceiling of your living room white will give it a sense of space.
- You can also use a shiny paint to create an elegant look.
- Coordinate the color of your walls and ceiling, or keep them contrasting colors to create a striking look.
- If you have vaulted ceilings, paint them white or beige to make the room feel taller and more open.
- However, if you’re concerned about acoustics in your living room, paint the walls and ceiling a light shade to absorb sound instead of bouncing it around the room.
- Adding texture to your walls and ceilings will give them visual appeal.
Contemporary homes are sleek, simple, and full of light. By including contemporary features in your home’s design, you can turn it into a modern masterpiece. Keeping your uncluttered and organized, using lighting to illuminate the entire room, and choosing a monochromatic color scheme are all ways to create a modern look in your home.
With a little help, you can make any space in your home contemporary!